Select your Top Menu from wp menus
A night to forget for the Sheffield Steelers – Steelers 4 – 6 Flames

A night to forget for the Sheffield Steelers – Steelers 4 – 6 Flames

We were back in league action tonight as we welcomed the Guilford Flames for our first encounter of the 21/22 season. After wins against the Manchester Storm and Coventry Blaze last weekend, the Steelers would have wanted to keep their regular season winning streak alive.

Team news was that Barry Brust returned between the pipes after a confident 40 minutes on the previous Saturday. Alex Graham who has recently returned from North America would also find himself in the line-up in place of Tanner Eberle who was out with a niggle.

The starting line-up announced as:

#33 Barry Brust


#17 Evan Mosey

#77 Keaton Ellerby


#75 Robert Dowd

#63 Brendan Connolly

#90 John Armstrong

What ensued was a night to forget for the Steelers as the Guilford flames put 6 goals past netminder Barry Brust who seemed a long way from what we saw on the previous Saturday.

We headed into the first period break all-square with the Flames first goal coming at 7.47 when Brust was beaten by a wicked Brett Ferguson tip from a blueline blast by Jake Bolton. Ian McNulty also picking up an assist.

The Steelers first goal came at 13.19 through the in-form John Armstrong on a delayed penalty as Kevin Schulze worked it wide to Brendan Connolly who’s shot from wide right was initially stopped by Lindskoug but Armstrong was first to the rebound home from the top of the crease.

The 2nd was simply a period to forget for the men in orange as the Flames ultimately took a 4-2 lead into the 2nd intermission break.

The Flames goals coming at 26.35, 28.52 and 32.22 scored by Jake Bolton, John Dunbar and Ian McNulty.

There was a glimmer of hope gained at 39.19 via a powerplay goal from Anthony DeLuca but overall a period that the Steelers would want back.

The Steelers needed to be the first team on the board in the 3rd period to get back into this game, but a sloppy night overall by the team meant that we were 5-2 down at 47.55 when Levi Cable scored unassisted.

Marco Vallerand once again gave the home team some hope at 51.54 when he sniped past Lindskoug with a great finish. Assisted by Anthony DeLuca.

The game was ultimately put to bed at 57.41 when Tristain Fea scored on a shorthanded opportunity to make the score 3-6.

The final play of the night saw the returning Alex Graham put his name on the scoresheet with only 5 seconds left at 59.55, assisted by John Armstrong.

The boys get the chance to take revenge tomorrow night with a return fixture in Guilford.  6pm Face-Off.

Related posts