Select your Top Menu from wp menus
Focus Now Turns To Play Offs – Giants 5:4(OT) Steelers

Focus Now Turns To Play Offs – Giants 5:4(OT) Steelers

60 minutes was once again not enough to separate the two sides, but the Belfast Giants took the two points in overtime as Jordan Boucher found the back of Rok’s net in the 63rd minute.

Tanner Eberle returned to the squad tonight to replace Cole Shudra who headed back to Knight’s duty. Rok Stojanovic was also back in the squad for Barry Brust and was backed up by Curtis Warbuton.

Before puckdrop, the Giants presented a cheque to Martin Latal after their fundraising efforts to help support his wife’s family escaping Ukraine – once again, we can’t thank the Giants staff and fanbase enough for their efforts.

Onto the game and the Giants led by one goal after the first period after Slater Doggett picked up the first goal of the contest in the 18th minute. Ben Lake with the pass across to the crease who found Doggett and he beat Stojanovic low as he was screened by several players in front.

The Steelers had the game level at two goals apiece by the end of the second period.

Marco Vallerand with the Steelers first goal in the 28th minute as he picked up on a mistake at the Giants blue line and took a quick shot on Whistle from between the circles and beat him high.

The Giants went back ahead in the 35th minute through Jordan Boucher who put a good shot in high on Rok from the left wing. Stojanovic got his shoulder to the effort, but it wasn’t enough and the puck trickled over the line.

Rober Dowd then levelled the game again in the 38th minute. Martin Latal with the good work behind the Giants net and he fed Dowd just outside the blue paint and he backhanded the puck home over Whistle’s blocker.

There was another two goals apiece in the third period which would end the game at 4-4 after 60 minutes and take the teams to overtime.

The Giants goals coming in the 47th and 49th minutes. The first scored by Lewis Hook on the powerplay as the Giants moved the puck around the zone well and he beat Stojanovic blocker side.

The fourth goal for the Giants was scored by Mack Stewart as he picked up his first professional goal after deflecting home a shot from Garside.

The Steelers levelled the game up with goals in the 51st and 58th minute. Schulze with the Steelers third goal on a five on three poweplay. The Steelers moved the puck around quick and found Schulze closing in on the slot and he picked his spot top shelf on Dickson who had just replaced Jackson Whistle in goal.

Tanner Eberle then took the game to overtime after the Steelers had backchecked well to take away an empty net chance and Eberle was in the right place at the right time to jab home the chance when it came his way.

Into the coin toss that is overtime and Jordan Boucher took the first grade-A chance as he went one on one with Stojanovic and put the put the puck over his glove hand to secure the two points.

Latal picked up the Steelers MoTM award with first pro-goal man Mack Stewart picking up the Giants award.

All focus now turns to the Play Offs as we still await confirmation of our quarter-final opponents as the league season comes to a close this weekend. Saturday or Sunday next weekend? We will know soon! See you there Sheffield!

Photos courtesy of Belfast Giants

Related posts