Select your Top Menu from wp menus
Make mine a double as the Steelers make it two in two! Steelers 5 – 4 Devils (OT)

Make mine a double as the Steelers make it two in two! Steelers 5 – 4 Devils (OT)

After last night’s win over the Manchester Storm in Altringham, it was back home for the men in Orange for our first competitive home match of the 21/22 season. We were in Elite League action with Premier Sports in attendance, tonight against the Cardiff Devils.

It was 30 years to the day since the Sheffield Steelers first stepped onto the Arena ice – What history we have created in this building since.

Early news was that Fox had a full set of out skaters available to him with Brust continuing to await his Steelers debut with Stojanovic continuing to be the man to take the place between the pipes.

The starting 6 announced as:

#39 Stojanovic


#17 Mosey

#77 Ellerby


#10 Eberle

#12 Hodgman

#75 Dowd

We had some important business to take care of pre-game, the raising of our 2020 Challenge Cup winning banner, how proud are we of the boys that brought the trophy home to Sheffield?

Onto the game and the puck dropped at 4pm and the Steelers took control of the game for the first 5 minutes, playing positive fast paced hockey but the Devils found their way back into the game and started to find their own chances.

The first chance came from Brodie Reid who started to impose himself on the game but his first chance went the wrong side of the post as a shot on Stonjanovic rebounded off his pads.

The first penalty came at 6.18 when Eberle was called for high sticks but the Steelers managed to kill off the penalty well.

The play then went backwards and forwards until Evan Mosey was called for a delay of the game penalty at 16.32.

The Cardiff Devils took advantage of the extra man and were the first team on the scoresheet via the impressive Brodie Reid who sniped a shot from inside the right wing hashmarks across the Steelers netminder high into the corner.

That would end the first period and the Steelers headed into the 1st period break down 1-0.

The Steelers needed an injection, and who better to provide that injection than our own #63 Brendan Connolly who at 21.58 slid the puck between Carruth’s pads. The goal originally credited to Keaton Ellerby, but changed to Connolly, assisted by Vallerand and DeLuca.

The Steelers were on the charge and the player showing possibly the most early season form was on the scorecard again, ex Cardiff Devil Evan Mosey at 23.52. What a beautiful play, Connolly to Captain Jono entering the zone, Captain Jono to Mosey at the right wing hash marks and no mistake, firing past Carruth. The Steelers quickly reversing the 1 goal lead, up 2-1.

The lead wasn’t to last for long though as the imposing Brodie Reid was to get his 2nd of the night when he broke in one on one with Rok and fioundthe gap between the pads. Goal timed at 24.28, assisted by Crandall and netminder Carruth. 2-2.

The Devils regained their lead not long after at 27.24 through Stephen Dixon with a big slapshot which Stojanovic couldn’t keep out. Goal assisted by Reid and Register.

Two penalties for the Devils and one for the Steelers followed but neither team could take advantage.

We headed into the 2nd period break trailing by 3 goals to 2.

The Steelers needed a big 3rd period, but it didn’t start as planned as the Devils made it a two goal lead as Brodie Reid got his hat-trick goal at 43.48, assisted by Josh Waller. Sam Jones was caught in the middle of pinching but Waller got there first who slid it across to Reid and is no form to make a mistake.

The Steelers couldn’t convert on a powerplay opportunity at 48.28 but the game started to change on the next penalty as O’Connor took an interference penalty at 53.38.

It took only 8 seconds for the Steelers to capitalise through new fan favourite Martin Latal at 53.46, assisted by Hodgman and Mosey. 3-4.

The Steelers needed one more to take it to overtime and one more they got. Up steps Big John Armstrong wth a perfect tip past Carruth from Latal’s shot from the blue line. Daine Todd also picking up an assist. Goal timed at 57.18 and we were all square at 4-4.

Neither team could find the winner in regular time so over to sudden death 3 on 3 we went.

3 on 3 overtime can be a coin flip, but when you start with the speed of Latal and Mosey, you know something special could happen at any point.

The Steelers got their first chance with a 2 on 1 break, but Latal was just unable to saucer the pass over the Devil’s defenceman’s stick and the play broke down the other end with a 1 on 1 break on the Rok, but what a save to keep the Steelers in the game!

Finally, the deadlock was broken at 63.15 through probably the two players of the night, Martin Latal and the game winning goal scorer Evan Mosey against his old club.

What a victory for the Steelers and it capped off a double winning weekend, with wins being picked up in both the Challenge Cup and the Elite League.

We next welcome the Manchester Storm to the Utilita Sheffield Arena next Saturday at 7pm – See you there Sheffield.

Related posts