Select your Top Menu from wp menus
Steelers return to winning ways with a return victory over the Guildford Flames.

Steelers return to winning ways with a return victory over the Guildford Flames.

After letting their regular season winning record slip on the previous night, the Steelers got their chance to enact revenge less than 24 hours later as we headed to the Spectrum in Guildford for a return league fixture.

With regards to team news, it was announced earlier in the day that Anthony DeLuca would miss 2 games as punishment from the DoPS and Eberle was still carrying a niggle. Alex Graham remained in the squad and Rok Stojanovic retuned between the pipes in place of Barry Brust.

The Steelers starting 6 announced as:

#39 Stojanovic


#28 Schulze

#13 D Phillips


#20 J Phillips

#19 Oleksuk

#17 Mosey

The Steelers couldn’t have got off to a better start when at 2.26, Latal was able to rip one through Lindskoug on the powerplay, assisted by Keaton Ellerby and Daine Todd.

Revenge was clearly the only thing on the Steelers minds tonight and Robert Dowd doubled the lead at 9.39 as his shot found the inside of the post after an inception by Daine Todd. Marco Vallerand also picking up an assist as we headed into the first intermission break 2-0 up.

The 2nd period was shared with one goal apiece.

Robert Dowd picked up his second goal of the night early in the period at 21.25 after a giveaway behind the Flames net and the Golden Child made no mistake.

The Flames got on the board at 26.08 via a powerplay goal through Jesper Alasaari with a hard shot that was a bit too hot to handle by the Rok.

3-1 to the Steelers heading into the 3rd period.

Possibly the goal of the night came at 47.44 in the 3rd period when Hodgman circled the Flames zone and found the top corner for a brilliant unassisted goal.

The Golden Child then got his hat-track goal at 48.42 with a one-timer assisted by Kevin Schulze and Marco Vallerand. 5-1 with just over 10 minutes remaining in regulation.

The Flames fought back towards the end of the game with two quick goals at 56.19 and 59.12 scored by Brett Ferguson unassisted and Mac Howlett respectively. Jamal Watson and John Dunbar picking up assists on the Flames 3rd goal.

The game was put to bed at 59.59 with an empty net goal by Captain Jonathan Phillips to seal a wonderful 6-3 victory.

We are back in Challenge Cup action this coming Saturday against local rivals the Nottingham Panthers.


See you there Sheffield!

Related posts